Thursday, August 25, 2011

An Unexpected IVF Lesson....

I was reminded yesterday while in a public restroom of a lesson I learned during my IVF cycle.

Are you on the edge of your seat right now, wondering what the heck I learned in my IVF cycle that I could have been reminded of in a public restroom? I know it sounds crazy and as I was encountering it yesterday, I did laugh to myself a little.

After my retrieval the nurse took me to the bathroom, and because I was still pretty wooozie, she got the toilet all ready for me while I stood there feeling like I may fall asleep standing up. In my drugged state, I managed to have a serious 'a ha moment' when she left the room and I looked at the toilet. I've been putting those covers on backwards for the last 28 years of my life. I've always wondered why they were such a pain and never seemed to stay in place... uh, operator error! Can I just tell you, my public restroom trips are forever changed?

So, there you go- unexpected lessons from IVF... I'm trying not to think about the dollar amount that lesson cost me :)

Less than a week until our next appointment- hopefully we'll have a plan for round two by the end of next week!! I cannot wait!

11 comments:

JM said...

I need a diagram. I am at the edge of my seat- DEAR GOD WHICH WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY?????

Thanks for the smile :)

(but really, which way is right?)

Megan said...

32 is right around the corner for me and just a couple of years ago I learned that I'd been putting it on the wrong way, too! LOL

@JM: The correct way is with the push out thing dipping into the toilet from the front. Does that even make sense? LOL The big round part is at the back of the toilet and the small dangly part is at the front. Crap, still can't tell if that makes sense! D'oh!

Michele said...

I never knew there was a right or wrong way...hmm

L said...

Hmmm....this has really got me wondering if I'm using them upside too! I hate when they fall in just as you are sitting down. Maybe I will try them the other direction next time :)

Also, thanks for the award!

The House of One said...

Ha! But seriously.... am I doing this wrong also?? We're going to need more explanation, please. Diagrams/pictures preferred.

browning2222 said...

I am curious which way is the right way?

I remember, actually I don't really remember how I felt after after my retrieval so you are doing pretty good to remember which way is the right way. Now that I think about it, I don't know how I got out of the building, good thing hubby was there with me. LOL.

Beth Brakewood said...

I know you're probably tired and resting and all but I'm with JM - Share The Wisdom!!! :)

Tiffany said...

HAHAH Yes yes a diagram please. Have I been a mis-user of the toilet cover all my life? This was very funny, I bet in your woozie state this was a total and complete revelation. Life changing! lol

K said...

Lol - I am asking the same question...am I bet I am putting them on wrong too!

E and R said...

Oh, I needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks!!
I've always put it the same way as Megan

Anonymous said...

LOL. Mindblowing. (I don't have any idea if I'm doing it right or wrong...but I should learn before I have kids. Because who wants to be the mom who screws that up? ;))