Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thoughts on moving forward...

As sad as I am about our recent loss, I am ready to move on in our treatment plan. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again- I feel the best when things are moving. I'm a creature of momentum. If I stand stagnant too long, I become complacent and getting going again feels like starting over, which I HATE!

We haven't had our post-cycle meeting with our doctor yet (Aug. 31), but we've already started thinking about where we would like things to move once my body is ready to move forward. I did speak with our doctor quickly last week while she was doing my ultrasound, and she was pretty open to either trying an FET with our two embryos or doing another fresh cycle.

If you had asked me in the midst of our first cycle if I would consider another fresh cycle instead of frozen for our next cycle, I would have simply said no. Why? Honestly, I knew I'd get pregnant. While I was right, it didn't end the way I had imagined. I thought I would get pregnant, have a baby or two and then we'd use our frozen embryos for future pregnancies... never having to face a fresh cycle again.

Here's the thing... it didn't happen that way. Obviously.

So, from where I'm sitting right now, with the option of doing another fresh cycle or an FET, I'm leaning toward a second fresh cycle. I know, glutton for punishment. Buuuuut, I do have several reasons why this seems like the best option for us.
  • We have two frozen embryos. There is always a chance that both won't survive the freeze. We absolutely want to transfer two.
  • Our insurance "covers" 3 IVF/FET cycles. Both count the same.
  • What else would I do with my left over stimulation drugs?
  • We know that we would like to have more than one successful pregnancy. If we choose to do the FET and get pregnant, for future babies we will be looking at doing a fresh cycle. I cannot imagine doing a fresh cycle with a toddler or two at home. Talk about stressful!
  • Finally, if we decided to do the FET and we didn't get pregnant or worse, had the same outcomes as this time, I don't know if I would have the strength emotionally/physically/mentally to then face a second fresh cycle.
So, it looks like our next step will be to do it all over again. I know it will be hard, time consuming, but more than worth it in the end.


Kerrik said...

I can definitely see your logic in doing a fresh cycle, especially as insurance will cover it. Wishing you all the best for a perfect outcome.

Kelli said...

I like moving too!! Your plan sounds great...I would do the same if my insurance covered 3 of either IVF/FET, you are very fortunate! My insurance only covered "basic" IF treatments no IVF. I'll be looking forward to your next steps!

E and R said...

Sounds like a good plan - I can't imagine having to do a fresh cycle with a toddler(s) around! Thinking of you and hoping the next cycle is the one that allows you to bring your babies home!!

Sarra said...

I think your plan sounds great. A fresh IVF cycle might give you a few more healthy embryos to freeze for your second (or third!) child. I think it's also great that you're already talking through the next steps. I always feel better when I have a plan.

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Christina said...

To play devil's advocate (and keep in mind I have never done IVF), I have heard that there is greater success with frozen instead of fresh cycles. My gut is that it comes down to not having all of those drugs in your system, confusing your body. I remember earlier this year, there was a whole bunch of IF bloggers who did not have successful fresh cycles, but had subsequently successful frozen cycles. That's my two cents for what it's worth. I know whatever decision you make will be the best one and the right one for you.

Stephanie said...

First of all that's awesome that you have some insurance coverage for these procedures! I can definitely understand your thoughts behind all this and I'm sure you'll end up making the best decision for you and your husband.