We haven't had our post-cycle meeting with our doctor yet (Aug. 31), but we've already started thinking about where we would like things to move once my body is ready to move forward. I did speak with our doctor quickly last week while she was doing my ultrasound, and she was pretty open to either trying an FET with our two embryos or doing another fresh cycle.
If you had asked me in the midst of our first cycle if I would consider another fresh cycle instead of frozen for our next cycle, I would have simply said no. Why? Honestly, I knew I'd get pregnant. While I was right, it didn't end the way I had imagined. I thought I would get pregnant, have a baby or two and then we'd use our frozen embryos for future pregnancies... never having to face a fresh cycle again.
Here's the thing... it didn't happen that way. Obviously.
So, from where I'm sitting right now, with the option of doing another fresh cycle or an FET, I'm leaning toward a second fresh cycle. I know, glutton for punishment. Buuuuut, I do have several reasons why this seems like the best option for us.
- We have two frozen embryos. There is always a chance that both won't survive the freeze. We absolutely want to transfer two.
- Our insurance "covers" 3 IVF/FET cycles. Both count the same.
- What else would I do with my left over stimulation drugs?
- We know that we would like to have more than one successful pregnancy. If we choose to do the FET and get pregnant, for future babies we will be looking at doing a fresh cycle. I cannot imagine doing a fresh cycle with a toddler or two at home. Talk about stressful!
- Finally, if we decided to do the FET and we didn't get pregnant or worse, had the same outcomes as this time, I don't know if I would have the strength emotionally/physically/mentally to then face a second fresh cycle.
So, it looks like our next step will be to do it all over again. I know it will be hard, time consuming, but more than worth it in the end.