Monday, May 25, 2015

In laws.

I have so many updates to write, but tonight, I have to get something off my chest. In-laws. Bleck. I really do love mine, but I get beyond frustrated with them. They are great, and I do appreciate all they've done for us, but when it comes to our kids they drive me CRAZY.

Today's transgression is this (and feel free to tell me I'm over reacting):

Several months ago hubs and I decided we'd take our first camping trip with the boys late this spring. Since we have two young children we thought renting a cabin within a camp ground would be best. In an effort to include both of our sets of parents in this fun first, we invited the grandparents and both immediately agreed. We live about 2 hours from our families and were hoping this would be a fun time for everyone to spend with the boys and make some special memories. I've been so excited about it for weeks, thrilled that our boys would have the undivided attention of all their grandparents, playing in the dirt, eating their first marshmallows, etc. Until tonight.

We had called my in laws to tell them we'd built the trampoline they bought the boys for christmas (a story for another day) and my MIL says to hubs that they're bringing along our 3 year old niece. Not only is said neice the topic of conversation and comparison every time we see or talk to my in laws, but they see her and spend several hours with her multiple times every week. I just do not understand why they have to take this time away from the boys. Not only that, but it adds another toddler schedule to the mix- I'm sure there will be things they can't/don't want to do because of her, and that really frustrates me. I feel like I'm being super bratty about the whole thing, but it's for my kids and I guess if I'm going to be a brat, it might as well be for them.

We're still deciding if it's the right year to do a disney trip, but I told hubs today, if they pull this for that trip they will flat out be uninvited!

Weigh-in.... Am I waaaaaaay over reacting???

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

holy cow- it's been too long!

Whoops- sometimes I forget to push publish, this has been sitting around for awhile :)

Well, it's over. The educational autism evaluation. It holds zero weight when it comes to a medical diagnosis, but according to our evaluator, our boy shows enough autism tendencies that he qualifies for "services". I use that term incredibly lightly. In our state early intervention is a joke. With his multiple learning delays our only "services" are two 45 minute sessions per month with an early intervention specialist. Now, after the evaluation, we are granted a 30-45 minute session with a autism specailist ONCE per quarter. Which means we will likely see her only one time before he ages out of EI at 3. At that point he'll be transitioned over to early childhood special education (ECSE). It's unfortunate to go through all of this, with very little coming of it. He will be evaluated again just before his third birhday because it's required for the transition, but we don't expect the results will be significantly different.

On a positive note, our insurance does cover some autism related therapies-- but only with a medical diagnosis, which is very likely to be 9-12 months away because the waiting lists for appointments with developmental pediatricians for assessment are miles long. So we're in a season of waiting.... Again.

While it's somewhat upsetting to think about the things he may not do, or may do differently we are really taking it all in stride. He's our boy, no matter what.

So that's the update. Otherwise, things just keep pressing on- we have a few fun things on the calendar for this summer and a possible disney vacation in the works for the fall. We've had a crazy nice late winter/early spring so we've been enjoyed so many super fun weekends with the boys! They are at such a fun age right now!! An update on IVF: we are waiting--  the very soonest would be the end of the year, but I think it's more likely we'll wait until late 2016 or early 2017. I Know three people who've recently transferred ONE embryo and had it split to identicles. Holy crap- one baby I could handle right now- but TWO.... I can't even imagine!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Change of Plans...

The vast majority of this post was written a week ago, it's just taken a long time to finished tapping out the words---

It is crazy how much things can change in just the span of a month. At this time last month we were coming off our consultation with our RE, preparing to get started with our FET this month-- more accurately, this  week.

We had, just two days before our RE appointment, found out that one of our boys was lagging behind his peers (we were aware, just not of  its extent) and that he had qualified for "services" through our county's early intervention services. We were also told at that evaluation that because of his delays  we also had the option of having him assessed for autism. In  the moment, I  said "of course" but really didn't worry about it. I  was feeling fairly certain that wasn't the case. It was just before the holiday break and because early intervention is part of the school district, the evaluation process was pushed off until the new year.

Fast forward a week, when I received a packet from our RE outlining what we were about to embark on along with the deposit bill, and I had some serious second thoughts. Hubs and I talked it through and we decided that maybe it would be best to get our footing, see the evaluations through and see how things went  with our early intervention home visits before committing ourselves to more stress and appointments with testing/transfer/bed rest.

I'm not going to lie, it was a very hard decision. We were ready. So very ready.  And last night when I took the last active pill in my current package of birth control I thought to myself, "this week was supposed to be so different." This week  I should have been preparing myself for testing on Friday- instead, on Friday Hubs will take  the  day off and we will meet with our school district's autism specialist and she will explain to us how the evaluation process will look.

Obviously, we will do whatever we need to for our precious little man. No diagnosis will change how much we love and care for him. But, this week we find ourselves sorting through what-ifs. We are now hyper aware of EVERYTHING he does and doesn't do and in all honesty, it is exhausting. I'm ready to get the evaluation underway and be able to know exactly what his needs are and the best way to address them.

Of course, after Hubs took friday off, our appointment was canceled. We'll try again this evening- the specialist comes tonight to explain the process and answer our questions- she'll be back tomorrow to begin the evaluation. I'm anxious. Ready to get this show on the road, and also anxious about the results. I'm trying HARD to not put the cart before the horse, but it's tricky.