The vast majority of this post was written a week ago, it's just taken a long time to finished tapping out the words---
It is crazy how much things can change in just the span of a month. At this time last month we were coming off our consultation with our RE, preparing to get started with our FET this month-- more accurately, this week.
We had, just two days before our RE appointment, found out that one of our boys was lagging behind his peers (we were aware, just not of its extent) and that he had qualified for "services" through our county's early intervention services. We were also told at that evaluation that because of his delays we also had the option of having him assessed for autism. In the moment, I said "of course" but really didn't worry about it. I was feeling fairly certain that wasn't the case. It was just before the holiday break and because early intervention is part of the school district, the evaluation process was pushed off until the new year.
Fast forward a week, when I received a packet from our RE outlining what we were about to embark on along with the deposit bill, and I had some serious second thoughts. Hubs and I talked it through and we decided that maybe it would be best to get our footing, see the evaluations through and see how things went with our early intervention home visits before committing ourselves to more stress and appointments with testing/transfer/bed rest.
I'm not going to lie, it was a very hard decision. We were ready. So very ready. And last night when I took the last active pill in my current package of birth control I thought to myself, "this week was supposed to be so different." This week I should have been preparing myself for testing on Friday- instead, on Friday Hubs will take the day off and we will meet with our school district's autism specialist and she will explain to us how the evaluation process will look.
Obviously, we will do whatever we need to for our precious little man. No diagnosis will change how much we love and care for him. But, this week we find ourselves sorting through what-ifs. We are now hyper aware of EVERYTHING he does and doesn't do and in all honesty, it is exhausting. I'm ready to get the evaluation underway and be able to know exactly what his needs are and the best way to address them.
Of course, after Hubs took friday off, our appointment was canceled. We'll try again this evening- the specialist comes tonight to explain the process and answer our questions- she'll be back tomorrow to begin the evaluation. I'm anxious. Ready to get this show on the road, and also anxious about the results. I'm trying HARD to not put the cart before the horse, but it's tricky.