Sunday, November 24, 2013

Baby Dance


I watched a movie a few days ago while I was laying around with a sore back. It was called 'Baby Dance' and was, from my perspective, a pretty good movie. I'm not an adoptive parent, and even though I read several adoption blogs- I haven't lived it, and can't speak too much to how it all works, or doesn't work. What I DO know, is that when I watch a movie with an infertility theme, if it isn't done just perfectly and doesn't capture the emotion/heartache and speak about things in an inteligent manner I HATE the movie. So, keep that in mind if you decide to watch it.

I think it showed a lot of the things people don't talk about when it comes to adoption. Like all of the millions of feelings that go into making that choice in the first place, what you would do if the baby you were matched with ended up having some sort of issue, how you deal with the birth family, differing emotions from the waiting mother and father, etc. The movie was older and was probably set in the 80's-ish and I really have no idea what adoptions were like back then. But, as I watched all I could think was, I don't think I'm strong enough to do that.

It certainly isn't the norm from the stories I've read or heard from people I know, but my goodness, if that is how it once was, I can't even imagine. So, here's to you adoptive parents-- even though this was just a Hollywood glimpse for me into adoption I commend you for your strength when it comes to the choices you have made.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Pre-TTC, I used to think the idea of adoption sounded great! "What a great feeling to give a child a home," I thought. But now, in the midst of my journey, it's not that easy...like you said there are so many factors that go into that decision. And right now the biggest hurdle for me is that I can't let go of wanting the experience of carrying a child who is a combination of me and my husband. I had a friend who asked "Is your goal to become a mother or to get pregnant? Because there are other ways to become a mother you know..." That hurt...like having the goal to become pregnant was somehow bad. Other people tell me "You're so young, you have time," and I KNOW they are probably right, but that doesn't make it hurt less. In comparison to others I haven't being trying that long. I haven't considered adoption seriously yet because I just can't...but the thought has crossed my mind: What if this never happens for me? What are we going to do? And I just don't know the answer. I too commend the strong, brave souls who have adopted their children. KinderCoaster