Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shortage Averted....

I posted a week or two ago about being slightly concerned about the national shortage of Lupron. Thankfully, the local pharmacy that I use for my fertility medications (they specialize in fertility drugs) has taken matters into their own hands, and has started producing it in house. Unfortunately, this means that my insurance couldn't be billed for it, and it ended up costing me about 13 times what I would have paid as a copay, but I'm certainly not complaining! I would MUCH rather pay the $130 and have it, than have to worry about the $10 alternative arriving in time.

Thankfully there was only one issue with my order once I got it home and organized. Typically menopur is administered subcutaneously, but my doctor wants me to do it as an intramuscular injection, so the pharmacy accidentally gave me needles that are too short. We have part one of our IVF teaching this week, so I'll just swing by the pharmacy on my way and pick up the proper needles.

One of the nurses at the clinic emailed me an updated calendar yesterday, and it looks like we are just pushed out a week because my period was slow arriving. So on Wednesday I will toss a birth control pill down the hatch (for the first time in three years!!) in the name of making a baby.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Phew about the drugs (but also ouch on the wallet). 'Enjoy' the birth control!

Stephanie said...

I hadn't heard about the shortage, but it's nice that your pharmacy has an alternative for you. Too bad they messed it up though!

Baby Hopes said...

Congratulations on being on your way! Ouch on both the cost and the intramuscular injection. Holy smokes...

E and R said...

Glad to hear things are working out. The price difference is steep - but worth it in the end!! I think I might be just as excited for you to do IVF as I was for me to!!

Kelli said...

I think I heard about this shortage on your blog before....crazy! But glad they are making it.

I laugh about the bcps..ironic huh?!

Brandi said...

So excited to see your IVF journey start. I just know this is going to work for you!! Great thing about your pharmacy being able to do that. We had to pay out of pocket for everything in our IVF process. Our insurance didn't cover a thing so it does hurt to see those high dollar receipts! Save them though, we did use them on our taxes!