Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Funny Story...

Earlier this week while I was feeling pretty sick from the clomid, I bummed around on the Internet and found a few more infertility blogs to add to my reading list. As I was getting caught up on one couples journey I found myself laughing out loud at a story involving prometrium.



Now, let me start by saying that the story itself wasn't funny. I know EXACTLY how this poor woman felt in the moment, but it drudged up some of my own joyous encounters with prometrium while I was reading.



In case you aren't aware, prometrium is a progesterone product. It is often used during the LP to support a possible pregnancy, or as a means to stimulate a period in someone who is not naturally cycling on their own. I used it twice to stimulate a period in the first 6 months that we were trying to get pregnant.



The first time I used prometrium I was EXHAUSTED! I would take in about 30 minutes before bed and when my head hit the pillow I was out. I also had to take it pretty early in the evening if I had any hope of waking at a reasonable hour the next morning. Seriously. I would sleep about 12 hours on this medication and still wake up feeling groggy! I hoped and prayed that I wouldn't have to take it again, but no such luck.



The second round of prometrium happened to fall right around Valentine's day... romantic right? I remember this because my husband and I had gone out for a romantic dinner and then came straight home because I had to take my medication and get to bed. Shortly after I retired to the bedroom he joined me. And much to my dismay, he wanted to talk. I could feel the conversation getting more and more loopy on my end and it was taking me longer and longer to respond to him. Soon enough, he too had caught on and began trying to teach me lessons while I was all drugged up.



At this point I think it is important to explain that my husband is a pretty laid back guy, but there are a few things that really get him going. One of these things, is the improper use of the word 'at'. For example, "where did you get that at?" Obviously in that sentence, at isn't necessary. Being an elementary school teacher, I notice these things as being incorrect, but I hear them constantly so they don't really bother me.



Apparently I had been using 'at' incorrectly in my speech, so my husband took it upon him self to not only teach me this lesson, but also record it on his cell phone at the same time. Perfect. Soon after he felt that the 'at' lesson was ingrained in my head for all eternity he began working on a list of words he knows I often mis-spell. Thanks,babe. Honestly the audio from our little learning session is absolutely hysterical, and I have to say, I am now utterly annoyed when I realize I've used at incorrectly.

2 comments:

Amber @ Luv and Laughter said...

My husband loves to make fun of me when I am taking Clomid. My thoughts don't necessarily correspond with the words that come out of my mouth.. like the time he asked how my day was and I said "same day, different stuff." Or the night my breast were hurting and I was looking in the mirror and he threw me off by asking, "What are you looking for?" My Response? "My boobs." Boy, does he still like to tease me about that stuff and we haven't used Clomid in five months.

Stephanie said...

Oh too funny!!! Glad my prometrium story was able to bring up funny memories for you! :)

Ya know, I had to take prometrium vaginally last cycle as a supplement and it didn't cause any issues for me then. Crazy what taking orally v. vaginally can do!