Sunday, December 12, 2010

Objects May Be Closer Than They Appear...

So, as I said in my last post our third IUI is complete, and we will find out just before Christmas if it was successful. Although I am all for finding out as soon as possible, I almost wish my beta were after Christmas. Even if it is positive, we will likely keep the news to ourselves because I would only be 4 weeks on Christmas day. More importantly, if it is negative I feel like it is going to be a hard weekend for me. I've taken the last two failed cycles fairly well, but with IVF now looming in the not so distant future I'm not sure I'll be able to be as emotionally unattached.


As you know, our diagnosis is PCOS, hypothyroidism and now we've added low sperm count to the line up of fertility issues. After talking with our doctor this morning about success rates considering all of these issues, she encouraged us to begin really thinking about IVF with ICSI. Since we have my thyroid under control and I'm ovulating with the help of clomid/metformin the larger issue right now is the low sperm count. She said the best and most cost effective way to treat our case would be with IVF.

After talking a little more she agreed to allow us to do one more clomid/IUI cycle if the current cycle doesn't produce a pregnancy. At that point we will re-group and begin doing any testing that will be needed before doing an IVF cycle. She reminded us that we are young and that we don't need to jump into anything, and if we'd like to take break there is no harm in that.

Our plan at the moment is to do our best to live in the here an now. We are going to see what happens in the next painfully long 11 days, and then figure out where to go from there. We are open to IVF, I'm just not sure how quickly we will move on it.


So, like the title says.... objects (IVF) may be closer than they appear....





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping that this cycle brings you happy news! Fingers crossed for you. If you have to go down the IVF road- know that you will have support:) Best of luck.

Nink said...

Finding out just before Christmas will be hard. I'm in the same boat as you (I find out Christmas Eve). But, delaying it a couple days won't change the results. It might help get through the holidays a little better, but the idea of finding out would still be looming over your head. I really am praying you are blessed with a Christmas pregnancy. Yay!!! :) I hope you don't have to do IVF, but if it ever resorts to that, I will be there for you to help walk you through any questions you might have (although, I'm clearly not an expert!). xoxo