Thursday, March 15, 2012

Consignment Sales...

Lets talk about baby consignment sales.

oh.my.gosh.

There are several in our area, and because I am not yet a massively large and angry pregnant woman, I decided to go to one of the smaller ones this morning.

First things first. As I arrived about 30 minutes prior to the opening of the sale I saw that there was a line across the entire front of the building.... and it was raining. The rain isn't a huge deal because we live in the PNW and frankly most of the population lives in a raincoat the majority of the year. However, today's rain was of a special variety. The kind that comes with wind that blows it in more of a horizontal fashion than vertical. The kind of rain that there is no hiding from. It finds you and makes you soaking wet within minutes. Awesome.

Next up, we get inside the building and I really had no idea where to begin. All I could think about was how lucky I am that my mom will be attending the really big consignment sale with me in a few weeks. This was supposed to be a small sale, and it was massively overwhelming! I looked through the slings and front packs, but I just don't know what I want yet, so it was too hard to buy anything. Then I went back to the 'gear' section. I thought for sure I would find a bouncy seat, bumbo or swing that I liked, but instead I found heaps of hormonal women most of which with a screaming infant or toddler in tow and I walked out of the section as quickly as I arrived!

I did end up with some great deals on some little boy outfits. I got 12 pieces for $25 which seems like a pretty good deal to me. Thankfully I will know for sure what we are having by the time the big consignment sale rolls around. This time I was a little afraid to go too crazy on boy stuff just in case baby B turns out to be a little girl instead of our maybe baby boy!

I can say now, that is was worth the time and effort to go, but holy cow-- overwhelming! My advice to you in your consignment sale adventures is skip the purse and put a small wallet in your pocket. Most sales apparently will not allow you to bring in a purse that is larger than your head (someone show we something functional that is smaller than your head!) so this means getting out of line and returning your bag to the car, or leaving it in the coat check area- both options are lame, so just be prepared!

On a more exciting note, my new couch is arriving this weekend and my new sewing machine should be here early next week! I see many afternoons of sewing burp cloths and blankets in my future :)

6 comments:

Sybil said...

I know what you mean! Fortunately I had been with friends before (when I was still trying). They are great for buying clothes! And maternity clothes too! Enjoy your sewing machine....I have been sewing since I was a little girl and I am so excited that I can now make things for my little girl!

bmccrimm said...

OMG, i can totally relate, first time I went to the local multiples sale (its fairly large) i was quickly reminded what kind of people I was lining up with. They were arm in arm with lists and clothes hampers (for their goodies) amd a guest in tow! I was there to simply check things out. I felt I was staring more are the crazy shoppers than actually buying so I decided to get the hell outta there before someone complained about my lurking!! Very overwhelming, very!! I was much more prepared for my 2nd sale. Good luck!

Megan said...

How did I not know you are also in the PNW? I love a good deal! Isn't shopping for our babies so much fun? Can't wait for you to post pics of the things you're buying!

Miss Mac said...

Love consignment sales! I've bought our swing, vibrating chair, bumbo, and several other things at great deals. You are so right, they are overwhelming and (as another newbie) I don't quite have the same game plan as the other shoppers...yet!

Emily @ablanket2keep said...

Consignment sales are so awesome! I go with my friend at least once a month and we find all sorts of things. We don't go looking at baby stuff yet. Hopefully soon!

L said...

I've always wondered what those sales were like - they sound a little scary :) I think 12 outfits for $25 sounds like an awesome deal though!